I have decided to speak about different types of discrimination in Pro and College football. For my first posting I will be using the article Pigskin, Patriarchy, and Pain by Don Sabo.
In this article Sabo is talking shortly after having spinal cord fusion surgery after suffering a great amount of pain from playing years of football since he was 8 years old. He seems to focus on the notion that football is a male dominated sport that teaches the only way to rise up through the male pecking order is through pain and patriarchy. He states that many young men can only see themselves as being adored if they can be revered like the great football legends. He also claims that they gain this adoration through both inflicting and receiving pain, and domination over others. He said when he first started playing he had to go through several initiation rites such as “ prickling his flesh with thorns until blood was draw, having hot peppers rubbed in his eyes, Getting punched in the gut again and again, and wearing a jock strap around his nose.” (Sabo 424). He also said there was a constant need to prove yourself through things like “calisthenics until his arms would hurt, hitting hard and fast knocking the other guys down, and getting hit in the groin and not crying all teaching him that pain and injury are part of the game.” (Sabo 424). He said he was taught to be an animal and coaches only noticed the animals. He also argues that he was taught over and over again to punish the other guys. He feels that all the pain he and others had suffered was their linkage to the outside world. In a sense he is saying that what they are being taught is what they are teaching everyone else maybe just simply in a different way. He also contends that he is constantly taught pain is good and that pleasure is bad. That the pain of good is not more important than the goals of the team, but he argues that even nonathletic tough men even go through some similar situations. Sabo feels that he drank the Kool- Aid and feel in love with a societal urge to feed male domination. He feels that football teaches two patriarchal aspects. 1 is to dominate women. The second is inter-male domination. Sabo feels that many men and even women are forced to feel that pain is inevitable and a good thing that it enhances one moral character. He argues that most men heed this advice and take part as part of a survival. He said that these young males also soak in visions and values that their coaches are offering. “These coaches issue orders to take pain, take out opponents, to take the game very serious, take women, and take your spot on the team.” (Sabo 425). He also states that males are felt to believe if they cannot take the pain, nothing of fame glory and reward will be coming their way. Sabo states that; “ becoming part of the team fosters conformity to male chauvinistic- values, self-abusing life styles, contribution to the social structure based on patriarchal power, invokes male competition for prestige and status, and that they ultimately learn to take to internalize all these things which form their gender identity and conception of women and society.”
In my opinion, I feel that both boys and young men are being taught and forced to take the pain. That the good and the goals of the team are more important that the pain or the good of one. I believe that too many coaches are just interested in their record and keeping their job not kids’ lives and bodies. I also feel that football is a violent, aggressive, and dangerous sport that you need to let out a little of your inner animal or you will not survive even wind up getting hurt. I feel that for the most part he speaks the truth when he talks about wanting to punish the other guy, suck up the pain, put team above self, take it serious and not gain pleasure from it. I can say I feel it is true because I have experienced it in my own life. I do feel that we are hiring the wrong coaches we are hiring coaches who have their own goals and status at heart. I believe these coaches don’t even teach the principles, nature, and environment of the game but how to control it. They also do not teach what they can take from this game into life and how it can relate. I also believe that football is both nature’s way of bringing out the inner animal in man. I feel this because it brings out the struggle for life, position, power and control. Just like an animal in the wild. I also believe this is what society teaches and wants to see, because of both all the participants and spectators. I liken this to the gladiators of ancient Rome. The gladiators filled the blood lust of Roman society. I do not feel however that football teaches men to dominate women, but can demean and show women in certain ways. I do feel that they do teach about a patriarchal struggle but only within the team setting not society as a whole. As far as women being able to hack it in this type of an environment, I would say I do not see it. I do not want to discount all women I say that some would be able to but the majority would not. I think the experiment has been tried several times and failed.
How do you feel? Do you agree with or disagree with Sabo? Do you agree or Disagree with me? Is there anything that either of us maybe left out that is very evident and pertinent to what he is speaking about? Please feel free to leave questions comments concerns or observations!
Citation:
Good analysis of Sabo's article. Your opinion is the best part of your blog. I really liked your comment and description about football bringing out the inner animal in men. So true. Good job! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Chris! I know you are big with women's rights how do you feel about football degrading women and teaching men domination over women? I mean look at the skimpy outfits the team and league has the cheerleaders wear? There is also the lingere football league?
DeleteI'm not sure that I think that the sport itself teaches male domination, but I agree that the cheerleader’s outfits and marketed sex appeal are ridiculous. I didn't know what the lingerie football league was so I googled it and I couldn't believe that there is something like this. Now that is degrading to women. It saddens me that people find this entertaining.
DeleteI believe football in general was always geared more towards who is the stronger/ dominate player. Athletes as a whole are always taught to be the best at their position no matter what sport they choose to play and should take this aspect into their everyday lives. Football teaches players to work as a team just like in baseball and basketball but is much more physical. When a guy try's to knock out a quarterback I believe it's the same as a pitcher throwing a 90 mph fastball at a players head.
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion, it's sports in general that teaches players to be aggressive and dominate in their positions, the ultimate goal in life/ sports is to succeed and win.
Thanks Brent ! Let me ask you this do you feel that the over competitiveness/ need to win makes our society more crime filled than many others? I mean I agree I don't think there is any body out there who wants to or like loosing, but I believe there are just as many lessons to be learned from loosing as there is winning. Do you feel some coaches take the lessons learned on the field or the need to win too far?
DeleteI do agree that as a society we tend to get outraged when we lose at anything. We are taught to cheer for our favorite team and when that team loses we tend to do stupid things. Philly especially is know for how outraged fans can get and act. But when you look over to Europe and how crazy their fans can get over a football game (soccer) I think that society takes it another level. I don't think the coaches support this behavior but tend to accept it
DeleteI think there are some valid points made through out. I can't say I agree with all of them but everyone is allowed their opinion. Football is a sport of male domination. Because lets be honest Men are physically built better to with stand the hits. As it is a proven fact that Men average 20 lbs more then women at the same height. But it is also medically proven that a woman's pain threshold is higher then a man's. Life in general is survival of the fittest whether you are a man or a woman. There are other sports out there that are just as violent or more then football. MMA,Wrestling, Hockey and the list can go on. I think think there is a lot of negative attention brought against football lately. It doesn't help when Sabo states that football teaches domination over women. He is someone that should be silenced as he is putting football in a bad light. Women being exploited in football is by the individual woman's own choice. I don't want my daughter to become a stripper but yet I will go watch another person's daughter strip for me. Everyone has a choice in this world and we place too much of placing people in a certain category for one reason or another.
ReplyDeleteJim some interesting point's made there I like the point about pain and want to focus on that a minuet. Do you feel there are different kinds of pain ? You also stated that mens bodies were more suited for the sport.... does that mean that a the pain football inflicts could better be handled by a man? I am also curious how you feel about women playing the sport. I know when I was in Highschool Hamburg High had a girl playing. Some colleges also allowed girls on the team. Do you think women actively in the game as men is feasible? Or do you believe as many has stated it is a failed or expieriment gone bad?
DeleteThere is always different kids of pain. The is a pain of losing a game or the pain of a broken bone. Either way a woman is better at handling. Women will release emotional pain whereas most men bottle it up. Women also have medical proof that they have a higher pain threshold then men. When it comes to physical pain.
ReplyDeleteFor the most part a man's body type is more suitable for playing football as it comes down to muscle mass is on average larger in a man then it is in a woman. Don't get me wrong there are some women that would be able to handle playing football without any problems.
If you took a woman and a man of the same physical stature and gave them the same injury. The woman would more often be able to handle it longer then a man.
Sure I think there are a small group of women that could play football with the men. The reason I am saying small group is because a lot of woman have it in their mind that they can't do it because of the way they were raised in society. Also I think it takes alot of mental toughness for a woman to play in what society calls a man's sport.