Sexual Orientation in the NFL
In an article written by Mike Jaccarino, he brings to light the issue of sexual discrimination in the NFL. He states that the NFL and the NFLPA have officially banned discrimination based on sexual orientation. The NFLPA states they realize they have huge social impact and need to set the example. The NFLPA states they need to be a symbol of good. Jaccarino states that it is unclear which side pushed for the clause banishing discrimination of sexual orientation. The article states however that several players including Scott Fujita of Cleveland Brendon Ayanbadejo do currently openly speak out about marriage equality.
In my opinion I can see where this is a positive thing for both players and management. Do I see this as feasible, no. I think players will still feel how they feel, and say what they are going to say. I feel that sexual orientation is very much oppressed, harassed, and hazed in the NFL. I feel this is something the NFL will always feel the wrath of because of the high testosterone nature of the sport.
What are your thoughts? Will this work? Do you feel there are large amounts of sexual orientation discrimination in the NFL? Is this going to be enforceable by the league? What do you feel happens that we don’t know about?
Works Cited:
Jaccorino, M. (2011`, September 27). NFL formally prohibits discrimination against players based on sexual orientation. Retrieved from http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/nfl-formally-prohibits-discrimination-players-based-sexual-orientation-article-1.955859
No comments:
Post a Comment